Giant Baked Puffy Pancake Recipe
From Dorothy McNett's Recipe Book.
| Browse by Category | Browse alphabetically | Cooking Club |
See Also: Breakfast and Brunch
Giant Baked Puffy Pancake
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
To put on top (you choose):
* Yogurt (any kind)
* Real maple syrup
* Raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries
* Sliced bananas and/or strawberries
* Powdered sugar
1. Before you begin, ask an adult to turn on the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Use a dinner knife to cut 1 tablespoon butter. Each line on the butter wrapper means 1 tablespoon.
3. Put the butter in a small bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds on high until it is melted. (Or melt it in a small pot on the stove over low heat.) Ask an adult to take it out (or off the stove).
4. Scrape the melted butter into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with the rubber spatula and brush it all around.
5. Break 4 eggs and put them in a large bowl.
6. Pour the milk into a 2-cup measure until it reaches the line for 1 1/3 cups. Pour this into the eggs.
7. Measure: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons sugar. Put these into the eggs and milk.
8. Whisk until it is all one color and smooth.
9. Measure: 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Put these into the wet mixture.
10. Whisk until you don't see any more flour and the lumps are gone. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix it all in.
11. A two-person job: One person holds the bowl and tilts it toward the pan. The other person scrapes out all the batter with a rubber spatula into the baking pan.
12. Ask an adult to put the pan in the oven. Set the timer for 35 minutes. Ask an adult to take it out of the oven.
13. Cut the puff into squares and serve hot or warm, with yogurt, maple syrup, berries, bananas, and/or powdered sugar on top.
Recipe created 2002-05-10.
© 1996-2013 Dorothy McNett. All Rights Reserved.